Thursday, January 23, 2014

Costco vs. Amazon Subscribe and Save

Johnny was recently looking into using Amazon's Subscribe and Save, which I understand saves you 15% and gives you free shipping as long as you order five things per month.  We wanted to see if big things like diapers and formula that I usually shlep out of Costco would be cheaper and more convenient this way.  Lucky for you, I crunched all the numbers.

Costco Size 5 Diapers vs. Amazon's Huggies Size 5
$0.24 per diaper vs. $0.25 per diaper

Costco Size 3 Diapers vs. Amazon's Huggies Size 3
$0.18 per diaper vs. $0.19 per diaper

Costco Size 1/2 Diapers vs. Amazon's Huggies Size 1
$0.14 per diaper vs. $0.19 per diaper

Costco Wipes (900 count) vs. Amazon's Huggies (864 count)
$0.03 per wipe vs. $0.02 per wipe
*I like the Costco wipes, so I think I'm willing to pay the extra penny for each one...anyone a big proponent of Huggies?

Now when Johnny was looking around the Costco website, he found something that I was not aware of, Costco will ship diapers and wipes for free!  This is huge because by the time I buy all of my diapers, there is no room left in the cart.  My twins take up a lot of room too.

I'm gunning for Costco here because the prices, for the most part, are better, and you don't have to commit to buying a certain amount each month; there's also random coupons that give you a pretty good discount on the diapers and wipes.  However, we have a free membership at Costco through Johnny's work, so if you had to factor in the $50 a year vs. a free membership at Amazon, that might make things different for you.  Costco also does not have it's formula available online.  It's definitely the cheapest around, but you have to go to the store to get it.

**Special thanks to Sarah Rose who went to Costco and took pictures of diaper prices for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment