Monday, September 6, 2010

First Day of School #19

I feel like singing that song from Peter Pan: I won't grow up. I won't grow up. I will never wear a tie. I will never wear a tie. In just a few hours, I will be embarking on my sixth year of high school. In some ways it's like I never left. I had summer reading. I've been planning my outfit for the last few days. I bought a new purse. I want people to like me. We've all been there...unless Mitchell is reading this because well, he hasn't.



In more ways, though, it's totally different. This is my plan book, filled to the brim with plans for the first month of school. For those of you who don't know, I will no longer be at Delaware Valley Charter this year. I have the joy of starting a new chapter at City Center Academy, a Christian school that's affiliated with our church, Tenth Presbyterian. I am teaching Sophomore English, Senior English, and Junior History. Yes, you heard me correctly. I am teaching American History. A little of Revolutionary War here, a little Dust Bowl there. I got this.

So besides making all of my students do either a major project or a paper or both during the first week of school, I'm starting my sophomores with a new book that I hadn't read until this summer that I highly recommend to all of you. As you can see, it is called Crispin: The Cross of Lead. It's this great book about a teenager during the middle ages. It introduces the topics of feudalism, peasants, knights, and land owners in a way that's really accessible for students. And who can resist Avi? I mean come on.
So for all of you who start school this week, or you crazy midwesterners who started weeks ago, good luck!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment