Saturday, July 16, 2011

Summer Reading #5


Book #5: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

I feel like Maya Angelou gets a bad rap, but maybe I'm just thinking of my family's impression of her which is Tracey Morgan imitating her on Saturday Night Live with a line of greeting cards. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is her autobiography that focuses mainly on her childhood. She tells really interesting stories and gives insight into African American life around World War II. I would have almost given it five stars until the end. The ending, in my opinion, feels like she got tired of writing it and just stopped without giving closure on a many different things. Other than that, though, I recommend it, but definitely not for younger readers.

I give it:


No comments:

Post a Comment