Monday, August 29, 2011

Books I La La Loved This Summer

Being back at my parents' house has a lot of perks, like having an air hockey table and a ping pong table right outside my bedroom door.  But along with that, I also have access to Mitchell's bookshelf.  Mitchell devours books, and we usually have pretty similar tastes, so I've been enjoying this perk greatly lately.

Here's some that I recommend (and I realize these are like national best sellers, and you're probably thinking, gee thanks Rachel for recommending these books that I already know everything about):


Really exciting and interesting dystopic sci-fi book that I couldn't put down.  My friend Jane just finished reading it too, so I'm happy to jump on her bandwagon and promote it.


So I know this book was all hot when the movie came out, but I definitely recommend going past this one and reading the entire Olympians series, five books.  I love the characters and how I get to learn about Greek mythology without even knowing that I'm learning.  Very sneaky.


And along the same lines, Rick Riordan's new book The Lost Hero from his new series The Heroes of Olympus is even better than all the Percy Jackson books.  The characters are a bit more complex than some of the characters in his other books even though there's a lot of overlap.

And ps. I'm glad that all my dear East Coast people survived the hurricane.  One of my students even commented on my facebook that it reminded her of  Life As We Knew It , a book she read in my class about the moon getting too close to earth and causing all these horrible problems.  Ah literature. 

1 comment:

  1. Here's a trailer from The Hunger Games movie

    http://www.mtv.com/videos/movie-trailers/686022/the-hunger-games.jhtml?xrs=playershare_fb

    ReplyDelete