Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Where The Wind Comes Sweeping Down the Plain

For Labor Day weekend, my whole family went down to Oklahoma City to visit my grandparents.  I used to go down there two or three times a year, but since college and living in Philadelphia, I realized that I hadn't been down in almost five years.

I have a lot of fun memories of riding my purple and white Big Wheel around their driveway and eating sugar-free ice cream sandwiches.  I can't fit on the big wheel anymore, but it was fun to show Lila around all of the stuff that I enjoyed as a little kid.


We also got to visit with Johnny's cousin Jack Ryan who just moved to Oklahoma City to work at their friend Neill's brewery, The Belle Isle.  Jack Ryan's dad, Uncle Jack, was there too, so we got to have a little McDonald family reunion.  Jack Ryan just finished crafting a Pilsner in honor of their grandpa, Grampie, who passed away last year.  They used one of Grampie's old Navy emblems as the label, and they have his flight jacket displayed in the bar.


It turns out that Johnny's grandparents were married in a house just a few minutes away from my grandparents' house.  The older I get, the smaller the world feels.

1 comment:

  1. So good to hear....all the "goings on" of the Hutson family. Love, Ms. Pat

    ReplyDelete