Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March Book Club

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Omnivore's_Dilemma
As mentioned earlier, for this month's book club we read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.  I have a hard time summarizing this book because I don't feel that it was organized in a manner that makes complete sense, but generally the book is about the idea that as omnivores we have a lot of options for what we can eat.  Pollan wants to give us more information on various fads such as eating organically, eating locally, and hunting and foraging for food.  He also addresses our dependence as Americans on corn and how we've messed with the natural order of things so that farmers can keep making more corn than we need.

 Last night, the ladies got together to discuss our reactions.  Generally most people thought that it was informative with some parts that were really interesting.  However, there were a lot of slower more sciencey parts that made some of us, i.e. me, a little sleepy.  I will say that reading this book made me think about where my eggs come from as I'm cracking them, but I haven't yet changed from whom I purchase them.

Overall I would recommend this book if you're particularly interested in this subject, but if not, skip it.  Next month's book is the ever popular Hunger Games, in anticipation of the upcoming movie.  I'm very eager to reread this one, an excellent book.

No comments:

Post a Comment