Friday, June 24, 2011

Four Berry Sorbet

Today, ladies and gentlemen, we are making sorbet! My mother in law gave me her old ice cream maker, and I really wanted to use it. We didn't have any milk fattier than skim, so I decided to make sorbet instead...no milk needed. Here's what you do:

First, make sure that you know how to work your ice cream maker (you do need one of those for this recipe). I had to put mine in the freezer over night.
Pour 1/3 cup of white sugar into 2/3 cup of water. Heat it on the stove until the sugar dissolves, and then put the mixture into the refrigerator for about an hour until it's completely cool. Meanwhile...

Defrost your berries! I used about a bag and a third (approx. 20 oz) of a raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, and cherry blend.

After the berries are defrosted, puree them in a blender with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or a big glug of pink lemonade, which is what I did.

Add the cooled sugar water to the berry mixture, and pour the whole thing into the open top of your pre-frozen, already turned on ice cream maker.
**Note: Before doing this, you might want to strain the mixture through a strainer to get all the seeds out. I don't mind them, so I didn't do it.

Let it spin for about 40 minutes.

And voila! Sorbet! I put it in the freezer after this in an airtight Tupperware container. It gets even harder after sitting in the freezer for a few hours. I am currently eating out of the container with a big spoon.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment