Sunday, June 26, 2011

Summer Reading # 2


The summer reading challenge is off to a great start. For those of you who don't know, my students have a long summer reading list that they get to choose books from, and I felt bad because I hadn't read all of them. So I've decided to do that this summer (thanks to my friend Molly who has copies of a lot of them).

Book #2: The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier



The Chocolate War is kind of like The Outsiders + Lord of the Flies + Mean Girls. It's the story of a Catholic boys' school that's struggling to make ends meet, so they throw themselves into a chocolate sale every year. Meanwhile, there's secret gang of boys who pretty much run the school and force different students to do different tasks for them. One of the tasks first has to do with the chocolate sale and then gets totally out of hand. Very Mean Girl-esque. It is a book that shows excellent examples of mob mentality and how/why bullying happens, a hot topic around schools and government today. I enjoyed it overall and would definitely recommend it to my students.



I give it:








No comments:

Post a Comment