Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Confessions of a Housewife

I have two confessions to make.  One, Lila and I listened to Christmas music yesterday.  Two, the diet is over.  Yes, we made it all of eight days.  The main reason we decided to stop is that I was worried the lower amount of calories that I was eating was going to affect my milk supply.  But we also just flat out didn't like dieting (yeah yeah who does?) and felt that we could still lose weight by just changing our lifestyles a bit.  

So here are the things we learned from the diet:
  • We were eating way too many sweets.
  • Our dinners were too "starchy carb" focused.
  • We weren't eating enough vegetables.
  • We didn't have enough variety in the vegetables that we were eating.
  • We weren't exercising enough.
Alright, lesson learned.  Who needs a diet?  I'm sure you're thinking, "Sure, Rachel.  We know that you just wanted to make cookies and needed an excuse."  No! I promise I haven't made any...yet.  We knew, however, if we were going to stop the strictness of a diet we still needed some boundaries for going forward.  So here they are:

  1. Except for special occasions, desserts are reserved for the weekends.
  2. Lunches and dinners need to have at least two vegetables make an appearance.
  3. We need to exercise six days a week for at least 45 minutes.
  4. Starchy carbs at dinner should be kept to a minimum (Did you know that corn, peas, and beans are starchy carbs?  No more taco salad with rice, beans, and corn.).
Hopefully with these guidelines, the weight will continue to come off.  Johnny's already down quite a few pounds...sigh...boys.

2 comments:

  1. You are smart....I have also come to the conclusion that my problem is too many "starchy" carbs.....after all these years of yo-yo dieting I finally figured that out....so now that I know what to do....the only thing left is to do it. I think you have done the right thing.....I heard once that you need to picture your plate in 1/2's and 1/2 get the non-starchy carbs and 1/4 gets protein and 1/4 gets starchy or sweet carbs.....I haven't tried it but it sounds easy. A friend of mine that has a perfect body....says it is not the food itself it is the amount we eat.....sounds good. Love, Ms. Pat...Oh yes, and use a small plate!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Pat! We'll let you know how it goes!

      Delete