Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Road Trip!

Here's a good idea: take a three month old on a six hour road trip, by yourself!  I jest, actually Lila and my road trip to visit Johnny in Moline, IL went off very well.  We got in on Friday afternoon, and Lila was very happy to see her daddy.


The hotel where we were staying was just steps away from the Mississippi River and the boathouse where we used to go to a regatta every fall with Wheaton.  Notice their neon homage to rowing...with five rats in the boat?


Here's the boathouse that was always Grand Central Station for the regatta.  We didn't see much activity there this weekend, unfortunately.


I can't seem to find it, but we have a big team picture on this dock in 2006. I would love it if someone would send that to me.


Johnny was excited to show the river to his new favorite coxswain.  Henley 2030!


Besides being on the Mississippi River, the other (and I mean the only other) cool thing about Moline is that it's the John Deere capitol of the world.  We went to the John Deere museum.  Lila was clearly riveted.  


I got to ride on a a tractor.  Side note, Johnny and I were listening to the results of a study where people were asked how much money they would need to be paid to do various things like cut off a toe, eat an earthworm, kill a cat, and live on a farm in Kansas.  Do you know that the one that people demanded the most amount of money to do was live on a farm in Kansas?  More money than killing a cat!  


One of the main reasons that Lila and I drove to Moline was that it was only a few hours away from Michigan where our friend Becca was getting married!  I planned to get us into the wedding an hour ahead of time, only to realize when we were about an hour and a half away that there is a time change.  Oops.  We got in with about ten minutes to spare.  I changed in the car while Johnny sped down the highway; we're a good team.

The wedding was absolutely beautiful and fit Becca perfectly.  It was also fabulous to see old Wheaton friends that we hadn't seen in three years. 


Lila and I drove home Tuesday, and what should have been a six hour trip turned into a nine hour trip because Lila decided she did not want to be in the car any longer.  I don't blame her.  I don't think we'll drive anywhere for a few days.

4 comments:

  1. Love the story....Ms. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Pat! Hope Lila can meet you soon!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun weekend getaway. The John Deere museum looks thrilling haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I definitely recommend it...or you could just go to that farm on Mission and look at their tractor...your call.

      Delete