Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Meals



During the week, I don't have a lot of time to cook meals because I get home from work pretty late. So on Sundays, I try my best to churn out a few meals that we can reheat for dinners or pack up for lunches. Above is a picture of one of the Shepherd's Pies that I made. Here's the recipe:

1lb of ground beef
Frozen veggies (corn, carrots, peas)
Worchestshire Sauce
Salt and Pepper
Garlic
3 potatoes
Skim Milk
Parmesean Cheese

1. Brown the ground beef in a pan. While doing that, cube the potatoes and cook them in boiling water until they're tender enough to stick a fork into.
2. Once the beef is brown, add about 2 T of Worchestshire Sauce, 1-2 smashed garlic cloves, about 1 C of frozen veggies, and some salt and pepper. Continue to cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
3. Once the potatoes are done, drain the water and add about 1/4 C of skim milk to the pan. Mash the potatoes, adding a little bit of garlic, salt and pepper, and parmesean cheese (I just eyeball all of those).
4. Once everything is done on the stove, transfer the meat into four ramikans or one ceramic baking dish. Plop the mashed potatoes on top and cook at 350 for about 15 minutes until the mashed potatoes become golden and crispy on the top. Enjoy!



I've also been holding on to a bunch of lemons for awhile, so I decided to make Lemonade. I follow the Joy of Cooking Recipe.

Boil 8 cups of water on the stove with 1 1/2 - 2 cups of sugar (brown sugar works too but it makes the lemonade kind of brownish, duh I guess). Add 1 cup of lemon juice to the mixture once all the sugar has dissolved. I like to add 1 sliced lemon. Put the lemonade in the fridge until it's cold and enjoy!

Tip for juicing lemons: Roll them on the counter before you cut them in half. This helps you get more juice out of them.

What the week ahead holds: Girls LAX game tomorrow against our first private school (yikes), parent/teacher conferences (yikes), work on Katie's quilt, start Antigone with my kids, watch Arrested Development with Johnny. That'll do.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Have you done much crockpot cooking? There are some good recipes out there, but be careful. Many of them are kind of bland or have lots of cheesy goop on them. Allrecipes.com is a good source.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shepherd's pie in a ramikin--fantastic.

    btw, my english teacher in philly was named mrs. shepherd. out at conestoga in wayne.

    ReplyDelete