Monday, October 10, 2011

Mitchell's Recommendation

All the books that I have been reading lately have been recommendations from my little brother, Mitchell.  This week he recommended Life of Pi.  I remembered that when I was in high school this book was all the rage.  Aside from Harry Potter and Lovely Bones, I try to avoid books that are extremely popular.  The Help?  Please, won't be reading that for a few years.  Call me crazy, and I probably am, but I don't usually like to jump on the book bandwagon.  In this case, however, I should have.


Life of Pi is a novel about a teenager whose family owns a zoo in India.  They decide to move from India to Canada via boat, taking a lot of the animals with them to sell in North America.  Well, in typical Titanic style, the boat sinks, and the main character is left on a life boat not with Leonardo DiCaprio but with a very big tiger.  The boat chronicles the survival attempts of the boy and manages to be extremely interesting even though there are only two characters (think Tom Hanks and Wilson).  The first few chapters are bit intellectual, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed the story.

I give it five stars.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this yet either but have also been wanting to. I will do that sooooon.

    ReplyDelete