Sunday, May 27, 2012

Vegetable Aspirations

It should come as no surprise to you if you know my husband or me that we are pretty picky eaters.  I believe it comes from my dad's side of the family where we are all "allergic" to different things.  I'm allergic to tomatoes, Uncle Jeff is allergic to onions, Melody is allergic to mushrooms...the list goes on and on.

Well, after a trip to the Overland Park Farmers' Market this weekend, Johnny and I decided that we need to expand our palates, particularly our vegetable palates.  One thing that we're considering doing is joining a farming co-op.  Not the kind where you have to work on the farm, but the kind where you pay a lump sum and they deliver different fruits and veggies to you every week.  We're still up in the air on that one and it's a little late in the year, but if you know anything about those, do tell.  So what we've decided to do for the time being is pick a new, in season vegetable every week and make a few dishes with it.

For this week I turned to my new favorite website thepioneerwoman.com and tried to find a recipe that caught my eye.  After seeing a deliciously inspiring recipe for shrimp tacos, I decided that this week's vegetable would be cabbage.  I don't really know if cabbage is a vegetable, but it fits under the category of "Food that Rachel and Johnny don't really eat/try to avoid."  Other recipes for this week might include Pork Sandwiches or something you suggest?

2 comments:

  1. Chris hates cabbage. But shrimp tacos are delish. The only other thing I can think of that uses it is sauerkraut (which will stink up your kitchen) and cole slaw... We have those fresh veggie delivery things in Austin and they also include a weeks' worth of recipes to use all the produce you get. Maybe yours does too? Or if not, I bet they could easily add that feature upon request.

    I bought turnips for the first time last week and was really pleased. When you chop them and add them to soup they taste like potatoes.

    I really like this idea of yours!

    ReplyDelete