Monday, July 9, 2012

God's Country

What's that you say?  You've never heard of Branson, Missouri?  Well, my friend, you are in for a treat.  I grew up going to Kanakuk Kamp every summer down in Branson, so my parents thought it would be fun to take the whole family, including Johnny's parents, down to Branson for a weekend trip.  Johnny's parents flew in from North Carolina to hang out with us for a few days before hand also.


Before we left for the Bible Belt, we celebrated Mitchell's 16th birthday.  I can't believe he is this old.  I remember seeing him at the hospital right after he was born...and getting a How To Make Lanyards book as a present because my parents didn't want me to color all over the kitchen walls in anger again like I did when Jessie was born.


After celebrating Mitchell's birthday and the Fourth, everybody, including Mitchell's friends Austin (the Adams just can't get rid of me) and James, made the four hour trip down to Branson.  We stopped at this little sandwich place in Clinton, MO.  They tried to serve me uncarbonated Diet Coke, but I saw through their scheme.


Once we got to Branson, we all stayed in this really nice condo right by Table Rock Lake.  Lila had to wear her sun hat a lot because it was over 100 degrees and sunny the entire time we were there. 


Our first night there, we all went out on a pontoon boat.


It got a little hot for those of us who couldn't swim in the lake.


But I hopped in the water with Mitchell, James, and Austin.  It's been so hot there for so long that the water was like bath water.


Lila couldn't get in the lake, but she did love getting in the pool with Grammie, and by love I mean was scared to death of it.


While we were there, Johnny found out that he passed his third actuarial exam.  I apparently celebrated by having a crazy eye in this picture.


Lila loved hanging out with the big boys.  Do note that all of their shirts are Royals shirts.  I didn't know that there were that many Royals fans left.  I still refuse to switch my loyalty from the Phillies.


The main thing that we did in Branson was go to Silver Dollar City (or Steal Your Dollar City as my dad likes to call it).  We were too busy having fun watching glass blowing and riding Fire in the Hole! to take too many pictures, but we had enough time to stick Lila's head into one of those cardboard cut out things.  


Lila did a great job in the heat.  Silver Dollar City had really nice air conditioned nursing stations for moms and babies.  They also had some really fun shows that Lila loved.  Her favorites were the laser light show and the high wire act.  Not many babies can say that they nursed while watching the Flying Wallendas balance a chair on top of a bike on top of a tight rope.

So if you have the chance, I definitely recommend going down to Branson.  We didn't even make it to the go carts and The Berry Patch.  So much to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment