Friday, September 12, 2014

Lila and Olive's Shared Room

Hooray! It's finally done! Well, not so much "done" as I'm just tired of doing anything in there.

When I was pregnant with Lila, we painted this room green (Koi Pond by Sherwin Williams) in hopes that it would stay a gender neutral nursery. (The original before and after post is here.)  The color served us well starting originally with Lila, and then Little Guy, and then both Lila and Little Sister, and then just Olive, and now both Olive and Lila.


We're lucky to have a house that has three fairly large bedrooms, so I tried to split up the space into a few smaller spaces.  Here's the girls' little hand me down kitchen from the girls I used to babysit.


The dish towel was one of Johnny's grandma's, and the tiny little rug was supposed to be a giant rug that I was latch-hooking out of jersey sheets.  This tiny rug is as far as I got.


The bunk beds are the biggest addition to the room.  We bought beds that could come apart and be used as two twin beds, which came in handy when we had both Lila and Little Sister sleeping in here.  Now that we bunked the beds, Lila loves to climb the ladder and tell everyone that you "just need a yiddle courage!"


The duvets I made myself with fabric from Jo-Ann's.  The top one is backed with light pink, and the bottom one has dark pink.  The fabric at the end of the beds is left over from the valances.  Eventually they will be blankets...probably in about four years when I get around to it.


So no one in my family has supported these little poofs; we'll see if you jump on their bandwagon as well.  I saw this on Pinterest and tried to recreate it.  I like mine, but they are not as cute as the ones in the picture.  They must have used something other than tulle...ideas?  And I tried cutting them with curved edges, but they don't look any different.  I'm pretty sure Johnny still thinks I just threw tutus on the beds.


The chair was a Craigslist find back when we were pregnant with Lila, and the cute flower table was my sister's.  My aunt crocheted the gorgeous pink blanket for Olive.


I planned to do more tissue paper flowers, but that never happened either. Almost as cute as what my cousin did in her daughter's room.


Still using the same teeth marked crib that was a fabulous Craigslist find.  Lila has figured out how to climb into it, so she likes to climb in and bounce Olive.


The Boo Boo likes it too.


The girls' dress up collection is quite extensive.  They're using my old dress up box that my grandmother got me as well as all my old dance recital costumes because I was such an amazing dancer.


We took the doors off of the closet so that we could fit a dresser in there, and I am still happy that we did it.  I'm not sure how long we will be able to fit both girls' clothes in there, though.


The girls also have all of my old Madame Alexander dolls on display.  I once caught Johnny explaining to Lila that the ones on the left were wearing such weird dresses because they were from another country.  They are Little Women dolls.


And here's my favorite part of the girls' room, their little book nook.  The only problem is that now Lila is starting to try to climb up the shelves to get to books she wants on the top.  I wrote in an older post how to do the gutter shelves.  It's super easy, and they hold a lot, but I think you could do something similar with baskets or Ikea shelves for a little bit cheaper.  Gutters ain't cheap, yo.


So in the end, I'm happy with how the girls' room turned out.  Johnny couldn't understand why I was doing a post on it because he said I just rearranged stuff.  But I'm pleased with my rearranging, and I hope that eventually we'll get both girls to actually sleep in there together without waking each other and subsequently us up.


Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment