Sunday, December 18, 2011

Saturday

Here's a few recipes and a story or two to go with 'em.



So Johnny was gone this Saturday morning at bible study, and I decided to make some crepes for myself while I waited for him to come home.  The first thing I made was a berry compote...super super easy.

1 Bag of frozen berries (mixture, single kind, whatever)
3 Tablespoons of sugar (more or less depending on your sweet tooth)
Juice of half a lemon
Cinnamon, nutmeg, other favorite spices
1 Tablespoon of cornstarch

Pour the berries into a sauce pan with about a 1/3 cup of water, the sugar, and lemon juice.  Allow this to simmer on medium/low while you go do other things.  Once the berries are no longer frozen and are starting to pop (10ish minutes), add a sprinkling of cinnamon and nutmeg (or whatever else you have lying around like cloves or allspice).  In a separate bowl, mix the cornstarch with about a teaspoon of water.  Once the cornstarch dissolves, pour that mixture into your berries and bring to a boil.  This should help the berries thicken; feel free to add more cornstarch if it's not thick enough. and voila!  You're done.


Next, the crepes had to be made.  I found this recipe, which worked wonderfully except make sure that you mix all the wet ingredients FIRST and THEN add the dry ingredients.  The way the recipe tells you to do it is weird and gives you lumpy batter.  I followed the reviews and had much better luck...the second time around.


And here's my fancy breakfast that I ate by myself.  I tried to be artistic with the swoosh of compote, but now I'm thinking it just looks like I smashed a really big bug on my plate.


Once Johnny got home, I started blowing leaves in the yard, but the leaf blower started smoking. Johnny came out and fixed it and then just finished the whole yard.  I thought the bags looked like little haystacks; foreshadowing of my home farm perhaps?  


And while we were on the way home from getting more leaf bags, we stopped at the grocery store.  There was a Salvation Army volunteer ringing the bell, and as Johnny and I walked in, the man looked at me and asked, "Having triplets?"  I didn't give him any money.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment