Monday, May 19, 2014

Gecko Green

When we lived in Philadelphia, we owned a cute little row house with an open floor plan.  All the walls had to be painted the same color, so I went out on a preppy limb and chose Gecko Green.  Put a sample on the wall? Please, why would we do that.  We just looked at the paint chip and then went out and bought three gallons of the stuff.  As Johnny is painting it, he's loudly grumbling that I better like it since we just spent $140 on the paint.  Oops.  We stubbornly kept it and wore sunglasses inside.  My students loved it.  They said it reminded them of the Rainforest Cafe.  Classy.


Annnnnnyway, fast forward to Kansas a few years later, and we are now getting ready to do a DIY redo of the kitchen.  I'm planning to paint the cabinets white in a few weeks and put in a breakfast nook, and I've decided that I'm just not happy with the current color.  Enter Johnny's heart attack, stage right.


HG-TV Magazine had a picture of a room with the exact same wood paneling as ours where the designer used Asparagus Green by Olympic.  It just looked so cute with the white trim and brown furniture.  So the green on the right is Asparagus by Olympic.  The green on the left is Asparagus by Valspar that the Home Depot guy accidentally gave me.  Geeze.


I'm thinking with the white trim and white cabinets it could look really cute, but I don't want people to come over and be blinded.  Am I crazy?


3 comments:

  1. We painted our Philly nursery a similar (I think) color: Benjamin Moore Pear Green, if you happen to remember that. I have to say, I did like it, but it was a little brighter than I had wanted. I personally wouldn't have wanted to have that color in a common area. But then again, my favorite color is white. :) Also, good job convincing Johnny to repaint! In 7 years as a homeowner, I have STILL not convinced Fred to paint the living room or the kitchen. Ugh.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! We have very little wall space in the kitchen so I'm hoping the white cabinets will balance it out.I always loved your guys' taste! I want to see pics of your new place!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I could definitely see that working. :) I love white cabinets!
    Our house is a 2000-era rancher, not super stylish. The whole thing is painted dark tan inside, except our bedroom (horrible teal!), and Anna's room which we painted pink, and the dining room which I did olive and white. We have got to lighten up the rest of the house though! I'm making throw pillows this month, and my next project will be to paint either the entryway or the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete