Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Winning the Macaron Battle

If you've read my blog for awhile, you might remember my many failed attempts at making macarons.  By the time I got good enough to do a tutorial, I was basically worn out.  Recently I decided that I wanted to start making them again but was curious about finding an easier and more predictable recipe, so I went for a little stroll around the internet for some help and found two great tutorials at Brave Tart and Eat Live Travel Write.  Both of these recipes use a KitchenAid mixer, give specific beating times, and have a lot of troubleshooting suggestions.  The Eat Live Travel Write one worked best for me.  So far I have made two perfect batches in a row, which was basically unheard of in my former life.  If you've never made macarons and want to start, then these tutorials are definitely for you. Oh, and I also used this template so that I didn't have to trace 48 circles.

Here's what I did with my finished macs: Salted Caramel Macarons

I started with plain macaron shells and then used this recipe for Salted Caramel Buttercream (I used the Trader Joe's caramel sauce...there's no way I was going to stand over the stove all day and make homemade caramel).  I piped the icing around the edge of one half of each pair.


Then I piped some of the actual sauce into the middle of each circle.


Lids on ladies!


Perfect little macaron.  It only took 1,048 bad ones to get there.




No comments:

Post a Comment