Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Rainbow Bathroom Before and After

The woman who lived here before us, bless her heart, (see now that I said "Bless her heart," I can say whatever I want about her), really liked color.  Remember our kitchen?  Mmm neither do I.  Well in keeping with the idea of "as much color as possible everywhere," our upstairs bathroom was decked out in teal tile and rainbow wallpaper.  I don't mind the tile too much, but I have been wanting to change the walls since the second we moved in.  Two children later, I finally got around to doing it.

Rainbow Bathroom Before:


Rainbow Bathroom After:


Before:
Note where I got a little excited one day and started tearing off the wallpaper.  But after our hellish experience with stripping wallpaper in the living room and the dining room, we decided to just paint over it.  I spackled and sanded the seams, and it was much easier than stripping.


After:


Before:


After:
The main difference here is that I closed the curtain so that you can't see all the stuff hiding in the bathtub.


Before:


After: 
The prints are copies of old rowing prints that Johnny's Uncle Bob gave us for Christmas before we were married.  It's a good thing we got married so that I could keep the whole set.


And thanks to Becca Stam for the carving? stamp? print? I'm not sure what to call it, but she made these for her roomies when we graduated from Wheaton.  It's hung in all five of our homes.  I don't think we're going to move again.


Normally I would never paint a wall white, but I figured with the fabulously teal tile, that was all I should do.  I'm happy with how it turned out.  Especially since it's actually painted two different shades of white because Sherwin Williams gave me Pure White instead of Snowbound and I didn't realize it until I was done.  So if you come over, just smile and say it looks nice. 


Besides the tile, one of the fun retro things in this bathroom is the light.  If you look closely at the ceiling, though, you will see that the paint is peeling off of it, and if you look really closely under the peeling paint you will see that the CEILING USED TO BE PAINTED TEAL.  I'm sorry? Yes, pre-wallpaper, the ceiling and walls and tile used to all be teal.  I suppose I should have appreciated the rainbow wallpaper.


I'm very glad this project is over.  This is the first room that I have painted completely by myself, and I was getting tired of sitting in there every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment