Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Call #1

We finally got our first fostering call!  I was ordering dinner at Panera in between tutoring sessions, and the sweetest girl from our agency called.  The only problem was the placement was for a sibling set of brothers, ages two and three.  We can only take one right now, so I had to say no.

I found myself quickly trying to figure out how I could make two kids work.  Sure we don't have two extra beds or two extra car seats or two extra high chairs, and sure it would be crazy to have three kids age three and under, but they sounded so darn cute!  I suppose the thing that I have to remember is that we aren't the only family willing to take in kids.  There are hundreds of families, many willing and able to take multiples.  We have to do what's best for our family, and by doing that, we are also doing what's best for the incoming kiddos.

Saying no made me sad, and I didn't even want to think about what happened to get them into the system, but we at least know that we are up and running and on the radar for a placement soon.  Thanks for all you who've been thinking about us and supporting us through all this.

I am double posting this on my new fostering blog From Foster to Family.  I'll be using that blog for pictures and more specifics on placements once we start getting some kids in our house.  Feel free to ask for a subscription.

2 comments:

  1. I think I must be an idiot. How do I request access to your foster blog? We are in the application process now and trying to learn as much as we can from other's experiences. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very exciting! Just send me your email, and I can put you on the list. One problem with blogging about fostering is there is very little that you are allowed to say, but hopefully you'll get something out of our situation! rachel.e.hutson@gmail.com

      Delete