Tuesday, February 7, 2012

10 Minute Heating Pad

"Ugh," you sigh.  "If only I had a heating pad at this very moment.  But all I have is a bag of rice and a sock, and I have to be somewhere in ten minutes."  I hear you, friend.  So I am going to tell you how to make an awesome heating pad in ten minutes or less.

Step 1: Go to your sock drawer and find a nice, clean, long sock.

Step 2: Get out the giant bag of rice that you bought at Costco this morning.  Note: the rice does not need to be brown nor does it need to be organic...heating pad/socks don't need to be health conscious.



Step 3; Using a measuring cup or a funnel, fill up the sock with rice until it reaches the size that you would like.


Step 4: Sew up the hole at the top of the sock with your sewing machine or with a needle and thread.  Then cut off the extra sock.


Step 5: Heat up the sock in 30 second to 1 minute increments.  Voila!  You just made yourself a heating pad.

I decided to make this today because we're starting to get our hospital bag ready.  I wanted to have some kind of heating pad, but I've been using a hot water bottle at home.  I assume that the hospital won't have boiling water available whenever I need it, so I decided to make something that I (and by I, I mean Johnny) could quickly microwave.  I was going to go and buy one, but this one was essentially free.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. If you want it to smell nice, I suggest adding a touch of cinnamon or rosemary to the mix...or any of your favorite herbs or spices :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call...as opposed to always smelling like rice is cooking.

      Delete