Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Sugar Cookies

Happy Valentine's Day!  I hope that you are enjoying the true meaning of this holiday, which is to be sure that you eat as many sweets as possible in one day.

I spent all day yesterday making Valentine name cookies for my family and for the kids I babysit.  Johnny got to sample his early.



I wanted to give you all my sugar cookie information because I have tried a lot of different combinations, and I think I've finally found one that is relatively easy and as close to perfect as we can get.

For the actual sugar cookies, I use the Martha Stewart Recipe.  They are really quick and simple, and they don't rise or move much once they're in the oven.

For the icing, I don't like using buttercream or cream cheese icing because they don't hold color very well, and they bleed.  I also don't like using Royal Icing because it has to either have raw egg or meringue powder, both sound gross.  The icing that I do like to use is a corn syrup icing.  This recipe is excellent, except I add a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (clear vanilla is best but who has that?), and I find that I end up using more than 1/4 c of water...just be sure to add in small amounts.

Finally, here's a great resource for icing and flooding cookies.  She uses royal icing, but the instructions are the same.  I also have no problem using pastry bags or Ziploc bags with the tip cut off, but she doesn't like that.

I highly recommend all three of these websites.  Enjoy!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. such a cute idea! I love it. It would also work well for birthdays. or... learning the ABCs.

    ReplyDelete