Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Swell Guy

My grandfather, on my dad's side, passed away a few weeks ago, and we were able to celebrate his life this weekend with a service and the majority our family coming in town.



My grandfather was a very successful businessman, and according to his high school yearbook, a "swell guy" and an "excellent bookkeeper." 


We joke that when we were first dating, every time Grandpa saw Johnny he would ask, "How much do you weigh?"  I'm not sure if he thought Johnny weighed a lot or if he was concerned that he was gaining weight each time.  And one time, Grandpa couldn't remember Johnny's name, so he just said, "Well there's that bozo."  It was said with love.


The one nice thing about funerals is that you get to see some family that you don't normally see. A lot of my dad's family lives here, but my dad's brother's family lives out in Colorado.  Most of them were able to come along with my cousin Malia's daughters, Lila's second cousins who she hadn't met yet.  It was so much fun to see our kids playing together; it makes me really happy to know that Lila has three girl second cousins right around her age to play with...especially since it doesn't seem like she'll be getting any first cousins any time soon.  I don't know why Mitchell doesn't have any children yet.



We all loved Grandpa very much, and he is greatly missed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment