Thursday, November 3, 2011

4 Books = Personal Pan Pizza

Something that I have always been thankful for is books, so today I wanted to draw special attention to my personal gratitude for literature (notice I say literature and not those non-fiction books Johnny has lying around the house).



I have always enjoyed the role that books played in my life -- from going to the library with my mom, to getting free pizza from Pizza Hut, to eagerly scanning my lit classes' syllabi, and more recently to reading certain texts six times in one day with my students. I love reading.  I love watching the plot unfold in my mind's eye, and in the last few years, I've really loved the success of digging through and deciphering more complex literature.

Now that I'm moving into stay-at-home-mom mode, I've had to reevaluate how I do reading.  It's not longer assigned to me by a teacher, professor, or boss.  I get the pleasure of picking, but with that freedom comes the lack of a due date.  In order to help this problem in one small way, I decided to start a book club.  Our first meeting is next week, and our first book is The Book Thief.  I just finished it and can't wait to discuss it.  But for today, I am very thankful for books and the moments of happiness, sorrow, fear, laughter, and confusion that they have brought me the last twenty-four years.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. You finished it!!!??? I started it like one week before you and am still only halfway done. Uggg! I need book-it motivation :)

    ReplyDelete