Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tradition!

Now that the holidays are coming up, I'm getting very excited and thankful for all of the traditions that I had growing up as well as some of the new ones that Johnny and I are starting. Here's a few of my favorites:

On November 1st, my household celebrates Christmas Music Day. On this day and all days after that until Christmas, it is appropriate, nay encouraged, to listen to Christmas tunes.


On Thanksgiving, when we were younger, my cousins and my sister and I would put on plays about the Pilgrims and the Native Americans at the first Thanksgiving. It's very unfortunate that those little gems of performances stopped happening.

Something that I love the most about the holidays is watching Christmas movies.  I have even scheduled all of our favorites on my calendar so that we won't miss any important ones.  Last night, Johnny and I watched The Muppet Christmas Carol while eating pizza for our date night.  So good.



One Christmas tradition that I cannot participate in this year is ice skating on Christmas Eve.  My mom would always take us with our cousins and whoever else was in town, and Melody and I would discuss what Christmas presents we thought we were getting while slowly going around and around and around the rink.


Another Christmas tradition that I think my grandparents started us on was finding the pickle ornament on the Christmas tree, a German tradition...since we have no German blood whatsoever.  But the person who finds it gets whatever money is attached to it.  Jessie usually wins.


Now that kiddos are on the way, Johnny and I are hoping to continue these traditions and add a few of our own as well.  

What holiday traditions do you have?

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment