Sunday, January 6, 2013

How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck?

My main goal for today was to finish the side covers for Lila's crib.**



No more teeth marks!  And no little mouth filled with wood shavings for that matter.


For some reason, this project took a lot of time and energy.  This is what Lila's room has become while I was distracted by the teething cover.  Yes that is newspaper all over her floor.  She likes to look at it and try to eat it.


Tomorrow I am focusing on my living room and dining room mainly because I'm hosting book club here tomorrow night.  Cleaning projects will include dusting the baseboards and crown molding, cleaning the windows (My mom already cleaned the ones in the dining room...I am not above farming out the 31 Days of Cleaning.), cleaning the desk trashcan, and my daily weekly every once in awhile dusting and vacuuming.

**If you're interested in how I made the covers, here's a brief non-photo tutorial.
1. I measured the front of the crib as 51 inches and the sides as 28 inches.
2. I cut two pieces of fabric for the front and each side that measured the length by five inches for the skinnier front and six inches for the thicker sides and then sandwiched some batting between those two pieces to essentially make long skinny quilts.  (For the front, I sewed five inch by five inch squares together to make the top piece because I was using scraps for this project and didn't have anything long enough.)
3. You could quilt it here if you wanted to, but I didn't want to.
4. I cut and sewed together some binding from more scraps.  I think I cut the original strips at 2.5 inches.
5. Sew on the binding.
6. Before hand finishing the binding, I cut pieces of ribbon and sewed them every 12 inches or so to the back of the covers.  I sewed them so that the binding would cover the spot where I attached the ribbon. (That sounds confusing...just do something that makes sense.  If I did this again, I would use big grosgrain ribbon so that there would be cute big bows all over the crib.)
7. Hand finish the binding.  I went around each piece twice since I wanted this to hold up well in the washer.
8. Yell, "Sweet Victory!" and tie them onto the crib.  Then make your daughter stand in the crib and encourage her to chew on the new covers by pretending to chew on them yourself in order to get a good picture.
The End.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment